I’m sure you have all heard about all the health benefits of coconut oil. Aside from consuming it, did you know you can use it as a beauty product too? It is one product that can help nourish your skin and be applied almost anywhere! I always try to use raw organic extra virgin coconut oil like the one in the picture made by Ojio. You can buy this coconut oil online here. Listed below are some of the best way to use it as a beauty product:
- Eye Makeup Remover– Next time when you are going to take your make up off, take a dab of coconut oil and gently massage it in to remove your makeup. Make sure you don’t stick your finger directly in the jar since this can cause bacteria to grow. I suggest you get a clean spoon and take out the amount you need. After applying it to your skin, you can either wash it off with water, soap or simply wipe to it off. It is very thick and oily so you may not like it, but it’s a much better alternative then using toxic makeup removers.
- Moisturizer– Coconut oil is a great skin conditioner. Instead of reaching for lotion, grab some coconut oil and rub it your skin. You can also apply it your lips as a lip balm and works well for dry cracked lips. Not only does it smell great, but it has the fatty acids that help retain the moisture of your skin.
- Hair Oil – You can also apply coconut oil to help condition your hair. This works great if you have dry ends. After washing your hair, apply oil to the ends of your hair. Use a little bit at a time, as it is very moisturizing and can make your hair look greasy, but healthy. It will definitely add lots of shine!
- Oil Pulling – If you haven’t tried oil pulling yet you should definitely give it a try. Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic dental technique that helps remove toxins from your body. There have been recent studies showing that not only can it improve dental health, but it also help freshen breath. To oil pull, first thing when you wake up swish 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. When you are finished spit it out, BUT DO NOT SPIT IT OUT IN YOUR SINK. Coconut oil at room temperature is a solid so it can clog your pipes and no one wants to deal with that.
- Body Scrub– You can make your own body scrub by adding sea salt or sugar to coconut oil. This is a great way to exfoliate and moisturize your skin. Add equal amounts of coconut oil ( 1/4 a cup) and sugar or salt (1/4 a cup) to a bowl. You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil and mix the mixture together or not (Coconut oil smells great by its self).
When using coconut as a facial moisturizer, for some it may clogs pores especially if you already have large pores and don’t exfoliate. So try it out and see if it works for you! Try a test patch first because some people may be allergic. Also not all coconut is created equal, so make sure you get a high quality cold pressed oil. Coconut oil makes a great start for transitioning into using clean products. You only have to buy one item that covers so many basis. Just be sure you always use a clean spoon when you scoop from the jar. What are other uses do you use coconut oil for?